Jonas Stawski

Everything .NET and More

Exchange Server 2007 on 32 Bit Operating System

The other day I was installing a Windows Server 2003 R2 32-Bit virtual machine to install Microsoft Exchange Server 2007. After installing the OS and then set it up as a Domain Controller it was time to install Exchange Server 2007. So I inserted the Installation DVD only to get a "This installation package is not supported by this processor type" error. So I decided to look for the requirements on Exchange Server 2007 only to find out that I needed a 64-bit OS. You see I'm the kind of guy who likes to get his hands dirty so I get right to it instead of reading the manual first. Sometimes I pay for that and this was one of those times.

So the first thing I tried was reinstalling the 64-bit version of the OS, but I couldn't because either my host is running a 32-bit version of Vista or because of a limitation with Virtual PC 2007 (don't know which one is the problem yet). Anyway, I started searching for Exchange Server 2007 32-Bit and found out that Microsoft has released a 32 version for testing, development, teaching, etc purposes. The next thing I needed was to get my hands on the installation files. So I searched my big pile of DVDs I got from my MSDN subscription and I couldn't find it. I then went online to see if I could download and I had no luck there either. So I did a little more reading and found out that you can download the 32 bit evaluation version of Exchange which according to the comment of this blog never expires (even though it says it will do).

HUGE DISCLAIMER

The 32 bit version of Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 was not intended for production purposes. Do not under any circumstances install the 32 bit version for a production environment. The 32 bit version is only intended to be used for development, test, and teaching purposes.

Happy development, testing, and teaching!

Comments (18) -

You may already know that Microsoft has provided some premade VHDs for Virtual Server with Exchange 2007 32Bit pre-installed. Of course the download is significant too:
www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx

If you are practicing the installation steps, then the VHD is not the best choice, but to test and learn the installed product, it is a more than reasonable alternative.

Thanks William. I was not aware of this VHD, although the installation was good practice.

Joseph Richard
Joseph Richard

My question is:
Can you practice sending emails between local machines using the 32 Bit Operating System?

I have Windows 2003 Enterprise (32-bit I am sure) installed on a PC and am trying to install Exchange Server 2007 (32-bit also since it doesn't say 64-bit on the label) and I get the error...
"installation package is not supported by this processor type"

What is going on?  Anyone? Anyone?

bduchesne@verizon.net

i  am trying to install exchange server 2007 on windows server 2003 32 bit os but geting error not support this version pl contect vendor

sahibzada fazal
sahibzada fazal

Thanks

i want  Exchange Server 2007 on 32 Bit Operating System

Dwonload Exchange 2007 for windows 32 bit

i want to test a migration from domino to exchange 2007 server 32 bits but always there is error i want to knew if this version can do it or not

Rochdi, you might wanna download the latest version, as it solves that.

I tried installing the 32 bit test version of exchange server 2007 ( as no where i could find the exchange 2003)I had to install the Powershell, MMC and .NET framework first. Strangely I had to disable my NNTP and SMTP service completely. Then only it allowed me to install. The installation was complete but then there is another problem, you cannot start any mailbox database or mailbox. The uninstallation was also a headache but thats another story.

I am also having same problem bt i have 32 bit supporting os and processor so what i do sir pls tell me...

santosh patkar
santosh patkar

wan to install and configure for practicr purpose

Mateen zaia
Mateen zaia

i completely upset with exchange server 2007 Sp 1 32 bit it does’nt support server 2003 32 bit Sp 2, server 2008 32 bit, and after visiting so many blogs of exchange server experts what i came to know that is i have to go  with x64 bit servers so i went through the procedure and finally after installing a 64 2008 machine when i tried to run the exchange server setup again i faced a fucking error saying is this exchange server setup is not a 64 bit application so that i have to go with x64 bit version i don't know why microsoft is releasing this type of  fucking condition making difficult for messaging system and i'll definitely fuck the developers if i'll found them out somewhere around me......................

biuquote